The Cleveland Messiah Chorus, dedicated to the annual performance of Handel’s Messiah, was founded in 1921 by William Albert Hughes, Director of Music at Franklin Circle Church. The first performance was under his direction on December 31, 1922 and it is mentioned in The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History (David D. Van Tassel and John J. Grabowski, editors. 1996, p. 775) among groups “representing the renowned Welsh singing tradition here.”
Membership in the Chorus is open to all singers. There is no audition but attendance at rehearsals is vital. The dues are $20.00/year to help underwrite the cost of the performance. Messiah scores will be available at a nomincal cost & compact discs to aid learning will also be available.